Do energy access projects provide the claimed benefits for women?

Rebecca Rewald's Oxfam report provides a literature review trying to answer this question.

I would like to ask to practioners what are the feedbacks from targeted women about what should be done to make energy access work?

These feedbacks would provide important inputs, guidance and insights to design development programs/projects that make energy access actions work and then fulfil their claimed goals. Otherwise we will fail to meet the Sustainable Development Goals for each women and girl.

https://politicsofpoverty.oxfamamerica.org/2017/06/does-providing-e...

Views: 54

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Rodolfo,

Here is an interesting initiative from Energy 4 Impact that may be of interest to you, whereby they are working with women to supply energy to the "last mile": TACKLING THE ‘LAST MILE’ ENERGY ACCESS CHALLENGE THROUGH WOMEN’S EC...

Best regards,

Vincent

Hi Vincent, 

Thanks for sharing it, I enjoy their work a lot. On the other hand, ,the question I propose here is broader than that. Some energy access programs claim that they trigger better health, education and income and it is not actually true in an "automatic way"-like black box.

The entry from Energy 4 Impact you fortunately shared tries to address energy access and income generation having women as protagonists. This is great, but not enough yet to tackle the claimed benefits energy access is meant to provide for women. Improve education for girls and boys needs educational program that talks and happens integrately with energy access projects (infrastructure, teachers, capacity building); improve health for women and girls needs health care program integrated with energy access projects and so on. Empowering women and girls need much more to be done and energy access is instrumental in this process.

So my question was what are those claims from women not addressed by energy access in order to design a developmental program encompassing them all in which energy access is one of the gears inside that black box. The Sustainable Development Goals are intertwinned and so the different dimensions of the problems and projects must be.

If this is not considered, we'll fail to meet the Sustainable Development Goals for each women and girl. They are systemic and dialectical.

Best regards!

Hi Rodolfo,

Here's a new interesting research piece:

Energy and Women and Girls: Analyzing the needs, uses, and impacts ...

Energy has undoubtedly become a significant part of the development agenda, a reality reflected in the many claims made by members of the development community about the importance of energy access for improving the lives of the poor, especially women and girls.

Thanks, Vincent! This is a nice report, I did read it when you shared the first link.

By the way, have you heard about this African forum? I may be repetitive because I didn't check if it was shared in this knowledge hub, but anyway: "Gender Equality in the Transformation of Africa’s Agriculture" (http://genderinpractice.afdb.org/en/forums/feed-africa-gender-trans...).

Best regards,

Rodolfo.

RSS

Translate

Latest Activity

Md. Ashraful Alam is now a member of Women's Economic Empowerment in Agriculture Knowledge Hub
Aug 15
Profile IconDaniela Moctezuma Salas, Monica Torres, Tam O'Neil and 1 more joined Women's Economic Empowerment in Agriculture Knowledge Hub
Aug 1
Vincent Trousseau posted a blog post
Jul 26
Roslyn Dundas is now a member of Women's Economic Empowerment in Agriculture Knowledge Hub
Jul 26

© 2017   Oxfam. Created by Helen Moreno.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service